- Paris’ Moulin Rouge opened in 1889, the same year of the Universal Exhibition, where the Eiffel Tower was unveiled to the public as the main attraction.
- The Moulin Rouge was built in the red light district of Paris. The facade was decorated with glittering electric lights, which were a novelty at the time, with a huge red windmill at the very front of the building. The red windmill was designed to indicate the history of Montmarte, a village that once had many windmills in it.
- Spanish businessman Joseph Oller with Charles Zidler started Moulin Rouge as a temple dedicated to “Woman, the Dance and the Cancan.” They nicknamed Moulin Rouge the “Le Premier Palais des Femmes” or the First Women Palace.
- In 1915 the Moulin Rouge edifice was completely destroyed by a fire. The cabaret shut down for six years until reconstruction in 1921, once the First World War had come to an end.
- 600,000 people visit the Moulin Rouge every year.
This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!